Posts By: Gerfar
A Weekend of 5 Rhythms Dance
with Tim Broughton
The heart is the home of love and a gateway to the soul. Open our hearts and we open in love. This workshop is for those who wish to live in love whether living alone or in relationship. There will be a number of processes, including dancing the Five Rhythms, to help us let go and open into experiencing love.
We are looking at your face.
Meadows and rose gardens don’t interest us anymore.
We are lost in the view of your eyes.
Wine and the wine maker no longer have appeal.
5 Rhythms™ Dance is a simple movement practice created by Gabrielle Roth to release the dancer that lives in every body – no matter what shape, size, age, limitations and experience. It is a relaxing, releasing workout for mind, body, and soul. Let go of your mind and let your body take you into your wildness, your tenderness, your joy – with yourself, with others. Come home to the ground of your being. Somewhere in you the dancer is waiting, waiting to be recognised and given life in movement. All you need is yourself & your willingness to move.
Tim Broughton has been running workshops for many years and is an accredited 5 Rhythms teacher. He regularly runs day, weekend and longer residential workshops.
Venue: The Bridge Family Centre,
Le Geyt Road, St Saviour, Jersey, UK
Dates: Friday 9th (7:30-10:00pm), Saturday 10th (10:30-5:00pm),
Sunday 11th March (10:30-5:00pm)
Price: £20 for Friday evening/£110 for the whole weekend
Earlybird Price: £90 for the whole weekend if booked
by 15th February 2012
contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07797 832400 or 01534 722768
Sunday 18th December, The Bridge Family Centre 7-9pm
In Latin, solstice means ‘sun set still’ and Winter Solstice is the great stillness before the Sun’s strength builds, and days grow longer.
We will dance consciously into the fruitful dark out of which new life can eventually emerge. Everything lies dormant in the silent night, a sacred time of rest before the awakening, and the slow build toward longer days. We will also dance for the sun that starts a new cycle at winter solstice and acknowledge the suns rays shining into the dark and nurturing the new life there to be cultivated.
What to wear?
Comfortable layered clothing you can move and groove in. Long sleeves for floor work will keep you cozy and allow you to rolls across the floor easier if you feel the need!. It is a barefoot practice, but if you have dance shoes, bring them!
Is a dance practice that cleanses your mind with sweat and breath, laughter and prayer. We let go of conversation, dissolve into movement and discover the anatomy of the soul. You will awaken your own imagination and move through personal exploration into a loving, intimate relationship with body, mind, heart, and source energy. We are powerful creative beings and the dance helps us liberate that power and intent.
This dance will be facilitated by Maria. All are welcome! Cost £7
If you have never been before, come along, now is a great time to start 🙂
Tel Maria: 07797 832400
SPECIAL SEASONAL OFFER:
If you are in Jersey and were thinking about an eyelash tint or make-over this Christmas, this may be just for you. Get your eyelashes tinted for £17.50 and receive a FREE Professional Art Deco Make-over at the same time worth £29!! Offer until 31st December. Call 07797 832400 or 722768 to book.
Awakening the Dreamer Mission:
To bring forth an environmentally sustainable, spiritually fulfilling & socially just human presence on the planet
Created by “The Pachamama Alliance”- a collaboration of indigenous, scientific, activist and humanitarian minds, the Awakening the Dreamer Symposium is a transformative and engaging educational experience that empowers participants to respond to humanity’s current situation with action and informed, grounded optimism about our future.
• What is the role of imagination and creativity in our visions of tomorrow?
• What if we felt fully empowered and supported by a network of like-minded individuals to be the change we want to see in our world today?
• If each of us has an innate gift to contribute in our world … what is mine and how can I contribute it?
• Where are we in relation to our planet, how did we get here in the first place and what is emerging?
These are some of the questions we will be asking as we journey together through the heart of our current global situation.
Register / More Info Please contact Maria 01534 722768 and 07797 832400
Venue: JAAC (Old Haut de la Garenne, St Martin)
Cost: suggested donation £10-£25 – Bring lunch to share
OFFER UNTIL 21st December 2011: “1 hour DELUXE Head to Toe Rejuvenation Treatment” (30mins Reflexology & 30mins Back/Head Massage) only £35! Call 07797 832400 or 722768 to book. Also available as a GIFT VOUCHER.
14th October 18:30
16th October 18:00
Venue: The Bridge Family Centre, Le Geyt Road, St Saviour, Jersey
SOULMOTION – designed by Vinn Marti is as much an invitation to dance as a way to engage with life. Through the wordless enquiry of rising and falling, revolution and rotation, weight shifting and shapeshifting, dancers go deeply into contact with self, to awaken enveloped in communion. The permission to relax and rejoice in community invites a shift from ALONE to ALL ONE, from “my dance” to the ONE DANCE.
A transformational weekend of Movement Medicine to include sweat lodge ceremony
With Ya’Acov & Susannah Darling Khan
Jersey – September 2-4, 2011
Movement Medicine weaves together the exhilaration of free dance with the depth of movement meditation and the spirit of shamanic practice.
As the summer draws to a close and the Autumn Equinox approaches, Susannah and Ya’Acov invite you to return to the sanctity of your own body, heart and mind, to dance, sweat and nourish your love for life and for all our relations. Our ancestors from many different cultures used to participate in this ancient version of a sauna bath in order to purify themselves, connect with the powers of nature and ask for direct guidance from spirit.
In this powerful weekend of Movement Medicine practice, we will:
- Create a strong circle where we can be who we are and give and receive support to dare to dream who may become
- Dance deep to strengthen the roots, trunk and branches of the Tree of Life within
- Learn songs and sing our hearts out in preparation for the Medicine Lodge
- Build a Medicine Lodge and through participating in this ancient ceremony, return to the womb of the earth for purification, dreaming and community prayer
- Remember and strengthen our connection to the elemental forces that unite us with nature and our own deepest natures
- Celebrate the last of the summer wine and prepare for the Autumn ahead
Susannah is a dancer, singer, writer, and a passionate and compassionate teacher. Her background is in Anthropology (1st Class Hons UCL 1986) and Gestalt Psycho-therapy (Graduate of the Gestalt Centre London 1988). Her teaching is full of energy, clarity, sensitivity and her infectious love of the dance itself.
Ya’Acov has been studying and practicing shamanism all his life with many gifted teachers and he brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to his work. His workshops are deeply practical and down-to-earth as well as catalytic, transformative, uplifting and inspiring.
Susannah and Ya’Acov teach internationally and are the Directors of the School of Movement Medicine and Co-Authors of Movement Medicine – How to Awaken, Dance and Live your Dreams. They have been working and living together for 25 years.
Medicine Lodge Ceremony Information
Download the following as Printable PDF
Dear Friends, this document is an introduction to those who haven’t done a Medicine Lodge before. I hope it is useful for you.
Ya’Acov and Susannah were trained to run lodges by the Deer Tribe in the 1980’s and have been running them ever since. Sweat lodges are by no means exclusively a Native American ceremony and though we learnt a lot from the Deer Tribe, the ceremony we run is not a Native American ceremony. In many parts of the world, including Europe, our ancestors came together to sweat, sing, and pray for themselves, their loved ones and communities and for the community of life on earth. The ceremony that we run has evolved over these past 20 years and is based very firmly in the Movement Medicine mandala through which we work.
What’s it for?
- The ceremony is a purification for body, heart and mind
- It is a healing ceremony
- It supports us to connect with the elements in a very direct way
- It provides an opportunity to find more strength and clarity in who we are
- It provides a context for us to connect more deeply with our love for life
- We build the lodge together
- We learn songs
- We set up a super safe space
- We heat rocks on a beautiful fire with everything being done in a ceremonial way that is heartful but not precious
- We enter the lodge, which represents our willingness to come back to the womb of the earth to find healing, nourishment and balance
- Rocks are brought in and water is poured with prayers
- Everyone has the opportunity to pray for themselves, their loved ones, their ancestors, for life on earth, and to ask for support for their own journey and dreams
- People can leave if they need to and there is always someone around to support
- The ceremony happens in 5 ‘rounds’ or sections. Each begins with prayers and songs and the focus of the round is brought to everyone’s attention
- Between the rounds, the door is opened and fresh air and water are brought in
Are there contra-indications?
- If you have low or high blood pressure, it is best to sit close to the door
- Heart problems and medicine lodges do not mix well
- Women on their moon cycle are welcome
- If you are concerned about any health issues, it is best to consult a qualified medical practitioner and ask them if it is OK to participate in an outdoor sauna
If I need to leave, will I be allowed back in?
- Yes, the door is opened at the beginning of the next round
If I am unable to enter inside the lodge, can I participate in other ways?
- Yes. Doing the lodge from outside is perfectly acceptable and can be a very beautiful experience
- You can also work with the fire if you feel grounded and strong
After the ceremony
- You may feel quite open and refreshed or a little vulnerable
- It is important to eat a little and to drink plenty of water after the ceremony
- We will take time on the Sunday in the dance to embody what we have experienced and to consider how to share and integrate our experiences into our day to day lives
All in all, a medicine lodge is a perfectly safe and very strong, healing, community ceremony. In all the years we have offered this, we have never had any serious injuries or problems. We offer this ceremony because of what we have gained from it over the years. We hope that it will bring a great deal of benefit into your life too. Please feel free to offer feedback or ask more questions.
Ya’Acov Darling Khan
PRANA-MOTION YOGA and DANCE WEEKEND
Keef Miles is in Jersey 17-19th June to teach Anusara Yoga & Ecstatic Dance! Continue Reading