Lovely movement and meditation session the other night. Great turnout and big journeys for people travelling back to their true peaceful natures in a lovely sacred healing space. So good to be amongst this amazing bunch of crazy daring dancers and explorers. Maria x
Tagged: movement medicine
Our dancing with Venus session went really well. Lots of partner work through the dance and strong venus/ishtar/aphrodite visualisations to open us up more to love. All in all a very powerful evening. Had good feedback on the ‘Dancing with the Cosmos’ facebook page – always good to hear how this affects us all personally. Looking forward to dancing with Venus’s ally Mars next week when we’ll be stepping up our warrior, assertive energy through our movement and meditations.
Thank you all who came and dared to journey deep into their hearts. “The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasures you seek” Joseph Campbell.
Weekend at French Retreat, La Ville Davy, near Dinan.
27th -29th April 2012
- We will explore how we can cultivate true presence and find our own potential and authentic response to the challenges we are facing in our ever changing world Through the Pachamama Alliance’s powerful ‘Awakening the Dreamer’ Programme, we will feel inspired and awakened to the possibilities for personal and collective growth within these potent times we are in.
- During our time, we will experience a healing quantum light breath healing meditation to release parts of us that feel stuck and afraid, and also be facilitated into a conscious movement healing dance to strengthen our centres and celebrate all that we are as creative beings.
- We will also feel the benefits of eating light and simple, nutrient dense foods.
14th October 18:30
16th October 18:00
Venue: The Bridge Family Centre, Le Geyt Road, St Saviour, Jersey
SOULMOTION – designed by Vinn Marti is as much an invitation to dance as a way to engage with life. Through the wordless enquiry of rising and falling, revolution and rotation, weight shifting and shapeshifting, dancers go deeply into contact with self, to awaken enveloped in communion. The permission to relax and rejoice in community invites a shift from ALONE to ALL ONE, from “my dance” to the ONE DANCE.
A transformational weekend of Movement Medicine to include sweat lodge ceremony
With Ya’Acov & Susannah Darling Khan
Jersey – September 2-4, 2011
Movement Medicine weaves together the exhilaration of free dance with the depth of movement meditation and the spirit of shamanic practice.
As the summer draws to a close and the Autumn Equinox approaches, Susannah and Ya’Acov invite you to return to the sanctity of your own body, heart and mind, to dance, sweat and nourish your love for life and for all our relations. Our ancestors from many different cultures used to participate in this ancient version of a sauna bath in order to purify themselves, connect with the powers of nature and ask for direct guidance from spirit.
In this powerful weekend of Movement Medicine practice, we will:
- Create a strong circle where we can be who we are and give and receive support to dare to dream who may become
- Dance deep to strengthen the roots, trunk and branches of the Tree of Life within
- Learn songs and sing our hearts out in preparation for the Medicine Lodge
- Build a Medicine Lodge and through participating in this ancient ceremony, return to the womb of the earth for purification, dreaming and community prayer
- Remember and strengthen our connection to the elemental forces that unite us with nature and our own deepest natures
- Celebrate the last of the summer wine and prepare for the Autumn ahead
Susannah is a dancer, singer, writer, and a passionate and compassionate teacher. Her background is in Anthropology (1st Class Hons UCL 1986) and Gestalt Psycho-therapy (Graduate of the Gestalt Centre London 1988). Her teaching is full of energy, clarity, sensitivity and her infectious love of the dance itself.
Ya’Acov has been studying and practicing shamanism all his life with many gifted teachers and he brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to his work. His workshops are deeply practical and down-to-earth as well as catalytic, transformative, uplifting and inspiring.
Susannah and Ya’Acov teach internationally and are the Directors of the School of Movement Medicine and Co-Authors of Movement Medicine – How to Awaken, Dance and Live your Dreams. They have been working and living together for 25 years.
Medicine Lodge Ceremony Information
Download the following as Printable PDF
Dear Friends, this document is an introduction to those who haven’t done a Medicine Lodge before. I hope it is useful for you.
Ya’Acov and Susannah were trained to run lodges by the Deer Tribe in the 1980’s and have been running them ever since. Sweat lodges are by no means exclusively a Native American ceremony and though we learnt a lot from the Deer Tribe, the ceremony we run is not a Native American ceremony. In many parts of the world, including Europe, our ancestors came together to sweat, sing, and pray for themselves, their loved ones and communities and for the community of life on earth. The ceremony that we run has evolved over these past 20 years and is based very firmly in the Movement Medicine mandala through which we work.
What’s it for?
- The ceremony is a purification for body, heart and mind
- It is a healing ceremony
- It supports us to connect with the elements in a very direct way
- It provides an opportunity to find more strength and clarity in who we are
- It provides a context for us to connect more deeply with our love for life
- We build the lodge together
- We learn songs
- We set up a super safe space
- We heat rocks on a beautiful fire with everything being done in a ceremonial way that is heartful but not precious
- We enter the lodge, which represents our willingness to come back to the womb of the earth to find healing, nourishment and balance
- Rocks are brought in and water is poured with prayers
- Everyone has the opportunity to pray for themselves, their loved ones, their ancestors, for life on earth, and to ask for support for their own journey and dreams
- People can leave if they need to and there is always someone around to support
- The ceremony happens in 5 ‘rounds’ or sections. Each begins with prayers and songs and the focus of the round is brought to everyone’s attention
- Between the rounds, the door is opened and fresh air and water are brought in
Are there contra-indications?
- If you have low or high blood pressure, it is best to sit close to the door
- Heart problems and medicine lodges do not mix well
- Women on their moon cycle are welcome
- If you are concerned about any health issues, it is best to consult a qualified medical practitioner and ask them if it is OK to participate in an outdoor sauna
If I need to leave, will I be allowed back in?
- Yes, the door is opened at the beginning of the next round
If I am unable to enter inside the lodge, can I participate in other ways?
- Yes. Doing the lodge from outside is perfectly acceptable and can be a very beautiful experience
- You can also work with the fire if you feel grounded and strong
After the ceremony
- You may feel quite open and refreshed or a little vulnerable
- It is important to eat a little and to drink plenty of water after the ceremony
- We will take time on the Sunday in the dance to embody what we have experienced and to consider how to share and integrate our experiences into our day to day lives
All in all, a medicine lodge is a perfectly safe and very strong, healing, community ceremony. In all the years we have offered this, we have never had any serious injuries or problems. We offer this ceremony because of what we have gained from it over the years. We hope that it will bring a great deal of benefit into your life too. Please feel free to offer feedback or ask more questions.
Ya’Acov Darling Khan